Monday, February 14, 2011

Jesus Whispers...



Did you know that God often speaks to us in mere whispers, and if we're not careful we'll miss the very important things He wants to tell us? Back in 1999-2000, I suffered a bout of depression paired with anxiety. I cannot even tell you how many panic attacks I had over the course of that year, but there were countless episodes. One night I just couldn't get a handle on my panic. Bible opened on my lap, I searched for scripture to wash over me and bring comfort and healing, but my anxious spirit wouldn't even settle down long enough to focus on the scripture. I called to memory Isaiah 41:13, which states, "I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 'Do not be afraid, I will help you.'" I quickly captured that verse and started repeating it over and over in my head - until I'd worked myself into a regular frenzy. Suddenly, the voice of God spoke to me. It was not an audible voice, but clearly HIS, as He simply whispered, "Honey, I know that verse. After all, I wrote it, so I know it. Therefore, no need to keep repeating it. Say it once, then absorb it into your being, and let Me help you through this time."

Just like that I 'let go'.

I recall an immediate sense of peace fall upon me as I allowed that scripture to soak into my soul and envisioned the Lord taking hold of my right hand. In fact, I raised it up to Him and truly sensed him grasping hold of it. As I rested in His grace and mercy I literally felt my heart rate slowing and my breathing returning to normal.

It was one of those "stake in the ground" kind of moments, a time I look back upon and KNOW I heard the voice of God, felt His love come over me in a supernatural way. From that time forth, whenever I felt my body tense with worry or doubt, I claimed that verse, recalled the Lord's reassurance, and pushed through my panic with God at my side. It was a tough period, that year of depression and anxiety, but, me, oh my, what a crop of blessings it yielded in the end.

Keep your ears open and tuned for the still, small voice of God. He is here, and He speaks...

2 comments:

Nise' said...

Amen Shar! He hears and is right there. When I suffered in my 30's there were times when I would lay down to go to sleep with an open Bible on me and slept the entire night that way. He is so faithful.

CatMom said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart, sweet Shar. And what a powerful message this was in your post--WOW! ~ I'm so sorry you suffered during that time, but I truly understand (having experienced those also). And I soooo agree with your words--God speaks to us if we will only listen to HIM! ~ Love, Patti Jo