Friday, January 28, 2011

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY...



On January 28, 2010, I was standing in the veterinarian's office picking up some cat food when my phone rang. It was the Hospice nurse calling to tell me my beloved mother had just died. (The assisted living home where she resided was my next stop after purchasing the cat's food.) I knew it was coming, and I had even prayed for it, considering the stage she'd reached with her Alzheimer's, that wicked disease, but it still took me by such surprise. I've reached the conclusion that nothing truly prepares you for the loss of a loved one.

As I look back over the year, I'm reminded anew of God's wondrous grace, mercy, and love. Even in loss, and especially in loss, He sticks "closer than a brother". (Proverbs 18:24 says: "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a man who sticks closer than a brother.")

Above is a photo of Mom taken two and a half years ago with my granddaughter and me. She was a precious soul, beloved by ALL, but mostly by her Heavenly Father.

I miss her so much on this particular day. I love you, Mom.

6 comments:

Susie Finkbeiner said...

Oh, Sharlene, so difficult. My Grandpa had Alzheimer's. It is the worst thing. What comforts me is thinking of my Grandpa, mind sharp once again, sharing his stories in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Very tough Sharlene! I've been there, and know your sorrow and your joy. God is good, and teaches us new things every time. God bless you today. Love, Shar

misty conley said...

hey sharlene! i didnt realize it has been one year already!your mom was a wonderful lady and i will always remember her big smile. i hope you are all doing well. i bet little gavin is getting huge!

SHARLENE said...

Thank you, Susie, Shar, and Misty. It is always such a joy to read the comments section of my blog. It really means so much to me when people take the time to post their thoughts.

Misty, yes, Gavin is a big boy! Can't believe an entire year went by just like that. Feels like we're on this fast train, and sometimes I think we are. Are you doing okay, Misty?

Anne Payne said...

Sharlene, my heart hurts for you!!! I know how you feel. You are so right that nothing prepares you for the loss of a loved one. My mom passed away 9 yrs ago from cancer, and even though we knew it was coming soon (she came to say goodbye to me & my children) 3 weeks later it was just devastating to get that call. I still miss her terribly to this day. But I rejoice that she has a new, cancer free body and I will spend eternity with her praising God!!!

CatMom said...

Hello precious Shar, Am just now reading this post, and my heart goes out to you, sweet Friend. You are so right that nothing prepares us for the loss of a loved one, but how wonderful we have our precious Lord to lean on. ~ On January 22, it had been 4 years since my Daddy went to Heaven, and I still grieve him. But knowing I WILL see him and Mama one day in Heaven gives me comfort and hope!!! ~ Praying for you during this time, and I'm sure your Mother was blessed to have YOU as her daughter. (That is such a sweet picture you posted!). Hugs and Love from Georgia, Patti Jo