Friday, November 20, 2009

A THOUSAND DOLLARS IN QUARTERS...

I heard something the other night that had an impact on me, but I don't remember the source, i.e. who said it, so forgive me for paraphrasing. In a nutshell, here's what I heard: Relinquishing your life to Christ can SOMETIMES mean dying for His cause, OR it can mean giving up your life in small, meaningful increments.

Think of your life as a one-thousand dollar bill. As a Christ-follower, you lay it on the table, symbolically, and say, "Here it is, Lord. This is yours. All of it. Take it now, every last bit of it." It's like saying, "Yeah, I'll die for You. Here I am, take me now. I am ready to die a martyr's death."



But, that would be the easy way out. Why? Because 99.9% of the time God says, "Take that thousand dollar bill to the bank and ask the clerk to give it back to you in quarters. Now, throughout your life show ME to the world. Pass out quarters here and there -- to those who need a helping hand. Remember that single mom who needs a night out. Offer to take her children. (There goes a quarter.) Visit the sick and the elderly and put your arms around the mentally or physically challenged (more quarters out the door). Be a friend to that fatherless boy, that motherless girl (more quarters...). Invite a widow or widower to supper, stop to help the beggar on the street, offer to house missionaries, write letters of encouragement, take time to listen to a stranger in need, make hospital visits, LEARN YOUR NEIGHBOR'S NAMES!. (Quarters, quarters, quarters...)



Our goal should be to come to the end of our journeys with empty pockets, having given completely of ourselves even as Christ gave to us.

Something to think about as we approach this beautiful season of thanks and gratitude to the One who first loved us!


I love you all--but God loves you MORE!

7 comments:

Patty Horn said...

Shar,
I love this analogy! Thank you so much. I will be sharing your post with others.

CatMom said...

What an awesome post, Shar!! I'd never heard that analogy before, but that makes sense (or should I say "cents" LOL). I pray that I won't have any quarters left at the end of my journey. Thanks for sharing this - - you are such a special lady (and friend).
Hugs from Georgia,
Patti Jo :)

Edwina said...

Sharlene,

Just a quick note to let you know that your blog has been awarded the One Lovely Blog Award! You may pick up your award tomorrow at my blog site www.musingsofedwina.blogspot.com

Blessings and may you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Edwina

Dorothy said...

Sharlene, I love that you've encouraged me to learn my neighbor's names. What a great post! We don't have quarters in Australia, but the message still packs a punch!

SHARLENE said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my page, all you wonderful blog readers. Love you all!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Melissa :D said...

so TRUE!!! i love the saying at the end.