NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS ARE NOT FOR ME!
I have never done well with New Year's Resolutions. I think my running record for keeping one is about four days. I don't like that I fail so soon after making them, so I avoid them like I do bad germs. I do, however, LOVE taking down my old calendar and hanging up my bright, shiny new one with the big bold number "2013" at the top. This year my calendar is one my daughters made for me with love. Each page contains precious photos of grandJOYs and other family members. I take delight in new calendars, and I love flipping the pages to the next month. Every month feels like a brand new start.
There is just something exciting about starting over, isn't there? So far, I have had 64 New Years in which to start over, and every one of them has been an adventure!
God gives second chances, you know. And third and fourth and fifth. His patience never runs out and His mercies are new every morning. Isn't that a beautiful thing?
So, on this January 1, 2013, I'm not making any New Year's resolutions, BUT...if I were (and I did say IF), my list might look something like this:
1. Memorize more scripture.
2. Try new recipes.
3. Get on that elliptical machine!
4. Lose ten pounds. (Why do I always have 10 pounds to lose???)
5. Walk the dog more.
6. Spend more time at the beach.
7. Be deliberate about "playing" with family and friends.
8. Write notes and mail them, as in put them in the "real" mailbox, the one the US postal carrier stops at every day.
9. Stick to my writing goals.
10. Read books for fun--not work!
11. Publish a new blog at least once a week! (I have a hard time keeping up with this blog I have to say!)
See? This is another reason I don't make resolutions. My list gets too long. (I could easily have added more items.) It's hard to narrow it down to one thing, which I suppose says something about me. There are lots of areas in my life that need improving. Thankfully, we serve a patient God who gives us many chances to make things better. I like that worship song that says, "Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me."
All that said, tell me, do YOU make New Year's resolutions, and if you do, are you able to keep them? Regardless if you do or don't, have a blessed, God-kissed 2013. May this be your year of years - in a good way!